Monday, July 11, 2011

My Forever Blessing

        Sometimes I can't even remember what I did yesterday, but one day I shall never forget is the day God blessed me with my forever blessing-the birth of my precious son-37 years ago. I can tell you all about every minute of that day and the 2 days prior to that ---trying my hand at my 1st pie crust from scratch, smelling whatever it was that the pest control man was spraying-all the while counting erratic labor pains, afraid to step foot out of the house. Every year on this date I replay that video in my mind all over again. I thought I had delivered a giant (a little over 6 lbs), but that was because I only weighed in at 3 lbs. God has given me many blessings, but I count this one as the greatest. As well as a blessing, it has been a privilege to be his Mom. I truly believe that my role in life has been(and still is) to be the best Mom I can be. Now that he is all grown up and lives and works far away, people often tell me how kind, caring and polite he is. That really makes a Mom's heart swell with pride and joy. I must have done an alright job, despite those hard years of being a single Mom. You just never know where that kindness and politeness will take you-you just might receive a surprise blessing from a distant relative long after they've gone.
       Happy Birthday to my forever blessing and my very best friend-WRL.

2 comments:

  1. Happy birthday to Will. And congrats on raising such a fine son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully expressed. I have always said my son turned out well in spite of me, not because of me. Being a single mother is the hardest job on earth. And you are right -- when people who know him tell you how kind he is and what a sweet heart he has -- it's the best thing you will ever hear.

    ReplyDelete